The Institute has organized a three tier extension network with the aim of taking the technologies to the door steps of sericulturists with the widespread extension network. From main research institute to Regional Sericultural Research Station (RSRS). From RSRS to Research Extension Centers (REC) and sub-units of RECs.
Mandate of RSRSs:
- Identify region specific problems, undertake research studies and feedback analysis in consultation with respective DOS and allied units.
- OST and OFT for test verifying the technologies developed by the main research institutes and suggest fine tuning/ modifications of such technologies to provide solutions to region specific problems.
- Conduct on-farm trials (OFT)/ demonstration of the selected technologies with selected farmers in coordination with DOS.
- Popularize the proven technologies using various extension methods through cluster area approach.
- Conduct training for both grass root level extension staff of DOS and farmers on advanced technological aspects.
- Crop monitoring and troubleshooting/crisis management.
- Conduct survey on crop yield, economics and disease & pest surveillance for forecasting/ forewarning.
- Coordination of Cluster Promotion Programme.
- Soil health analysis and database maintenance of sericulture farmers.
Mandate of RECs and Sub-Units of RECs:
- Front line demonstrations of technologies through selected farmers in coordination with DOS.
- Popularize the proven technologies through various extension methods through cluster area approach.
- Resource centre for critical inputs and seri appliances such as mulberry cuttings, silkworm seed, chemicals etc.
- Conduct farmers' training on various technological aspects.
- Conduct survey on crop yield, economics and disease and pest surveillance for forecasting/ forewarning.
- Coordination with Department of Sericulture and allied department in all extension activities.
- Conservation of ecoraces prevailing in the region.
- Collection of feedback on technologies/ services, analysis and crop monitoring.